Moline, union reach 3-year labor agreement

city platform finance award inspection rental

The City of Moline has reached a three-year labor agreement with the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Local 1132, representing 142 public employees.

Under the terms of the new agreement, all AFSCME employees will get wage increases in each of the three years, in addition to paid parental leave benefits for new parents welcoming a child into their lives through birth or adoption/foster care. 

“The city is proud to be the first in the area to offer such a benefit to its employees,” according to a news release from the City of Moline.

“This comprehensive agreement, which will benefit both the workforce and the city, reflects Moline’s continued commitment to providing excellent services to its residents,” the release added.

The members of AFSCME Local 1132 – representing the city’s largest group of employees across departments such as public works, parks and recreation, utilities and finance – overwhelmingly approved the agreement. It was subsequently adopted by the Moline City Council at its meeting Tuesday night, Oct. 10. 

This labor agreement is in effect through Dec. 31, 2025.

Some of the key details include: 

  • In 2023, employees will receive a substantial wage increase of the greater of 5% or an adjustment to meet the minimum wage under the new Evergreen Class and Compensation plan, effective from Oct. 8, 2023.
  • In addition to the base increase, employees will receive a 2.25% anniversary increase or 1.50% lump sum payment, along with a one-time signing bonus of $650. 
  • For 2024 and 2025, employees will get a 2.50% and 2.75% general wage increase, respectively.
  • With the addition of their anniversary increases and wage adjustments, employees will receive a minimum wage increase of 17% over three years, although some employees will receive a much higher increase.
  • Health insurance remains a significant part of the agreement. The current agreement’s health benefit structure will remain unchanged with the employer covering 80% of the premium, and employees responsible for the remaining 20%. Increases to total premiums over the three years are 3% in each of 2023 and 2024 and no more than 7% in 2025 where the employees’ share will not exceed that of any other union within the city.

Get the free QCBJ email newsletter

Stay up-to-date with the people, companies and issues that impact business in the  Quad Cities area.