Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
When Heather Lawson recently was asked about her new employer – Edison’s Raw & Bar, she thought for a moment and said: “It’s a beautiful concept. We have to get more people here to see what we offer.” The new business opened this summer at 3579 Tanglewood Lane in Bettendorf. Ms. Lawson, who has worked for Edison’s since its July opening, recently was promoted to general manager of the new business that refers to itself as “The New Speakeasy” with a vast variety of drink specials and other offerings. Bailey Thompson, the director of branding and social media for Edison’s ownership group, said new customers come in expecting a restaurant/bar, when instead it is a bar that offers a few bites to eat. Some of those offerings include:
- A new “Liquid Brunch” from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. This “brunch” lets customers build their own bloody Mary drinks with a variety of add-ons. “People really like to load them up,” Ms. Thompson added.
- “Happy Hour” specials during the weekdays from opening time to 6 p.m. Those include $2 oysters, $3 domestic beers and $6 select wines.
- A large variety of “Speakeasy” cocktails, such as The Chicago Fizz, Old Fashioned Black Maria, White Linen, Cucumber Kick Margarita and the Spicy Martinez. The business also offers micro brew and specialty craft beers. It does not, however, offer a wide selection of food.
- The “Mezzanine” section on the second floor is available for group gatherings, such as business meetings or celebrations. Customers may book “The Mezz” by texting (563) 650-0243.