New incentives for veterans who move to Bettendorf are now available through the Home Base Iowa program.
The City of Bettendorf now offers a $250 reimbursement for city services and up to a $900 reimbursement for a home warranty to qualifying veteran homebuyers. In addition, Bettendorf veteran new homebuyers could be eligible for closing cost assistance, interview expenses reimbursement and a tax credit from Scott County, which has been available since 2021.
“About five years ago, Bettendorf City Council passed a resolution of support for the Home Base Iowa initiative and this past month, city staff was happy to work with city council to formulate these incentives for veterans who are new to Bettendorf,” said Jeff Reiter, Bettendorf’s assistant city administrator/economic development director, in a news release. “We are excited to support the continued efforts of our veterans and welcome them to Bettendorf.”
Veterans moving to Bettendorf may be eligible for:
- $250 reimbursement for city services: The City of Bettendorf provides a $250 credit to qualifying veteran homebuyers when they sign up for city services such as garbage and recycling collection.
- Reimbursement for a home warranty: The city will provide a reimbursement up to $900 when qualifying veteran homebuyers provide a purchase receipt of a home warranty.
- $1,500 closing costs reimbursement: Scott County provides this incentive to qualifying veterans living outside of the county who purchase a home in Scott County.
- Interview expenses reimbursement: Scott County will reimburse qualifying veterans living outside the county with a maximum of $250, up to two times, for hotel and meal costs incurred when interviewing for a job with an employer in Scott County.
- $5,000 tax credit: The credit is available for qualifying veterans purchasing a home within Scott County. Provided through the state of Iowa, it is awarded at the time of closing. To be approved, the veteran’s lending institution must be affiliated with the Iowa Finance Authority. Homes purchased on or after Aug. 1, 2021, are eligible.
In the Quad Cities, the Home Base Iowa program is administered by the Quad Cities Chamber of Commerce, which launched the program in 2021 with the City of Davenport and Scott County.
In addition to the interview expenses reimbursement, the closing costs reimbursement and the state tax credit, these other incentives are available:
- Up to $3,000 closing costs reimbursement: The City of Davenport provides $1,500 closing cost reimbursement to qualifying veterans living outside of Davenport who purchase a home in the city.
- Veterans moving to rural Scott County or a city other than Davenport or Bettendorf also may be eligible for the county’s closing costs and interview reimbursements as well as the state’s tax credit.
The application to apply for incentives is available on the Quad Cities Chamber’s website.
For more information on Home Base Iowa, visit HomeBaseIowa.gov.