Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
“Be more of yourself.” That was the resounding message to more than 600 women – and a few men – gathered Tuesday, Nov. 14, at the WLC Conference Quad Cities at the Quad Cities Waterfront Convention Center in downtown Bettendorf.
1 of 9
- Step 1, Take Up Space. “Girls at age 6 start giving up on their dreams,” she said. “Women won’t apply for a job until they are 100% ready (possessing 100% of the qualifications).” That’s not true for men, who will apply if they have 15%. “We can change these numbers by taking up space … physical space, emotional space, space in conversations and financial space.”
- Step 2, Be First. She recounted how at the new millennium she went to New Zealand not to party like it’s 1999 but to build a Habitat for Humanity home internationally and be where the sun first would come up in 2000. Tasked with light duties – like painting, she worked her way onto the team of men who were nailing the roof. Her actions prompted three young girls (whose family was receiving and assisting in the build) to join her on the roof. “It’s easier to be what you can see,” she said. “But sometimes you need to be what she can see.”
- Step 3, Look For The Helpers. She encouraged the crowd to embrace their MOXIEzone and the helpers to get there. “It only takes one person to make you feel like you belong and you will stay,” she said.