Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
EAST MOLINE – A section of this community called The Quarter finally has a new residential housing project in the works because …
- The timing and economy are right.
- More people are interested in living by the river.
- The city and developers are working together to help create the project.
- East Moline has a “guardian angel” who has backed the project.
The Quarter: At a glance
- The Quarter was donated to Revitalize and Develop East Moline (REDEEM) in late 1998. It is a former brownfields site. About 80 acres were donated to REDEEM.
- Tim Knanishu, executive vice president of REDEEM, said in those early years “a master plan was developed and a developer was secured. The residential piece of the land began and then a recession took place and impacted the development group that started the development. The housing bubble of 2006-2007 quashed the plans of another group of local investors. There have been other interested parties, but the Illinois housing market has been difficult.”
- There have been several development plans for The Quarter over the years including office space, retail areas, a sports complex, a restaurant and visitors center.