Quad Citians who have always wanted to go head-to-head with zombies are welcome to try their luck this Saturday, Oct. 28, at the Second Annual Village Zombie Run & Trick or Treat event in the Village of East Davenport.
But zombie-battlers beware: This family-friendly, costume-encouraged 5K (timed point-to-point downhill race) is unlike any other racing event in the Quad Cities. Indeed, participants in the 2023 Village Zombie Run Presented by Fleet Feet, Davenport, may well encounter some rather nimble, more serious runners among the costume-wearing undead.
That’s because the run, which is set to take off at 10 a.m. Saturday, is designed for runners of all abilities. So is the Lagomarcino’s ½-Mile Kids Run that steps off at 8:45 a.m. in the village.
Registration for the 5K race is $40 per zombie. The fee for the ½ mile Kids Run is $25. The deadline for online registration for either race is 9 a.m. Saturday. Those who wish to participate in either event are urged to sign up here.
The unique race’s creators are excited to once again bring the event to the Village of East Davenport after the inaugural Zombie Run kicked off in 2022. That race replaced an earlier one sponsored by Lagomarcino’s that went virtual in 2021 due to COVID-19.
“In 2022 when we heard the Cocoa Beano 5K was no longer happening, Brian Doerrfeld and I saw an opportunity to bring a timed road race back from the dead to the Village of East Davenport,” one of that pair of race promoters, Jesse Codling, said. “Inspired by scary movies and George Romero zombie films that we grew up with – the Village Zombie Run was born!”
In addition, he said: “We wanted to keep this family-friendly, while supporting a great cause. Lagomarcino’s sponsors the kids run and Fleet Feet has been a great presenting partner for the 5K and a portion of the proceeds benefit Trinity Health Foundation’s 3D Breast Cancer Screening Fund.”
The races aren’t the only thing in the lineup for Saturday’s Zombie Run. Trick or Treat for the kiddos will be available at participating Village of East Davenport shops.
“We are also excited to have Kelso’s Corner on board to host the after party,” Mr. Codling said. The after event will feature live music and the costume contest winners and cash awards to the top runners will be announced there.
The promoters also said they want to send “a big thanks to IHMVCU and Quad City Bank & Trust for bringing the spooky spirit to various legs of the race and shoutout to Mills Chevrolet helping us give out free candy for the kids.”
Dogs, strollers, walkers and elite runners are all welcome. Sign up today at VillageZombieRun.com.
If You Go:
- Packet pickup is 3-7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 27, at Fleet Feet, 4257 Elmore Ave., Davenport. Late registration and packet pickup will be at 7 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 28, and at 7:30 a.m. at the basketball court in The Village.
- The Lagomarcino’s Kids Run will take place at 8:45 a.m. in the Village of East Davenport. Lagomarcino’s will host a caramel apple station (for purchase) there.
- The Village Zombie Run, presented by Fleet Feet, starts at Duck Creek Park at 10 a.m. by the tennis courts. It continues to Belle Avenue with a spooky turn down Elm Street before hitting Jersey Ridge Road and ending in the village.
- Top Runners will receive first, second and third place prizes during this timed event.
- Shuttles will be available from the Village of East Davenport to the run’s start on race day.
- Dress like a Zombie: Creative zombie costumes are encouraged for the run and are eligible for the Best Costume Contest awards.
- After the race: Attendees and runners can hang with a bunch of fellow zombies at the official Kelso’s Corner Afterparty featuring live music & drink specials.
- Want to volunteer? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org