Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
Some abandoned, trashy homes in Davenport – homes that have been boarded up for years and have become eyesores – may soon undergo massive renovations, and bring families back to the community. That’s the goal of a new City of Davenport program called the Extreme DREAM Project. “We want people to make these properties shine. We don’t want the minimum done to them. We want more. … A lot of these homes have a long way to go,” Susanne Knutsen, the city’s economic development manager, said during a news conference Monday, March 27, to introduce the project. The city has allocated $2.1 million for the Extreme DREAM Project that could potentially help renovate dozens of vacant houses on or near Gaines Street in the central city. Here is how the program is expected to work:
- The city will provide up to $100,000 in matching funds per project in the Gaines Street corridor. (That corridor is Gaines Street from Locust to West Fifth streets, and from Warren to Scott streets. There are about 32 properties in this area that may be eligible, according to information provided by the city.)
- The properties must have been vacant for at least six months and have severe code violations. Following renovations, the house must either be owner occupied or sold to an owner occupant. This means the project is open to people who have the goal of living in the house and developers who intend to sell the property.
- The property must be a single-family home or duplex.
- The application process for the project is now open. The first review of applications is scheduled to begin in late June. Renovation work on the old homes could begin later this year.
- The project is being funded by the sale of the Heritage building in 2021.
- For more information, go to davenport.com/extremedream. (Scroll down to the “Extreme DREAM Downloadable Fillable Application” bar.)