Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
"It’s a fun place to go.” That’s what business owner Kyle Peters says about the new Daiquiri Factory bar and restaurant in downtown Davenport. The Daiquiri Factory, located at 303 W. Third St. (the site of the former Shenanigan’s Irish Pub), opened for business on Thursday, May 19. The opening came after months of massive renovation work on the building, which literally was taken down to the studs. Mr. Peters doesn’t want to reveal the cost of all that work, but adds: “There’s a lot of commas and zeros to the project. … It’s the closest you could come to just building a new place.” This is his second Daiquiri Factory in the Quad Cities. There also is a site at 1809 Second Ave., Rock Island. The new Davenport location is about two-and-a-half times bigger than the Rock Island site. “We felt like Davenport was the next step for us because of the many events here. … ,” he added. “There’s just a synergy in the downtown.” Downtown leaders in the Davenport business community have commented on the positive effect the Daiquiri Factory already is having on the downtown area. “This project was a significant investment that has resulted in the complete overhaul of one of our most visible corners downtown at Third and Harrison streets,” said Kyle Carter, executive director of the Downtown Davenport Partnership, an affiliate of the Quad Cities Chamber of Commerce. “DDP deeply appreciates the vision of Kyle Peters and the quality and scope of the Daiquiri Factory build-out,” he added. “You can already see the new vibrance it’s bringing to the corridor, and it will be great to see the daytime foot traffic when they open for lunch, as well.” The new Davenport location is about 5,000 square feet and seats about 400 people. It employs about 25. The business, often referred to as the “Daqfac,” describes itself on its website as “an eclectic chill-out place, home to the world’s most unique blend of music, people, and events.” The new business also has become a popular place for many downtown visitors. Many say they enjoy the fun atmosphere, friendly staff, and the garage-style doors that open at the front of the building to create outdoor seating. But mostly visitors enjoy the unique selection of daiquiris. Mr. Peters said the strawberry daiquiri is probably the best seller at this point because it’s a traditional favorite familiar to customers. But he adds there are many other flavors. Some include:
- Berry Mangolow. It includes strawberry vodka, mango puree, juices and Orange Monster.
- Naughty Girl Scout. It includes creme de menthe, vodka and ice cream.
- Goin’ Bananas. It includes Cruzan banana rum, banana liqueur and ice cream.
- Pimp Juice. It includes blueberry vodka, Red Bull, mixed berry liqueurs and raspberry puree.
- Jamaican Breeze. It includes 151 rum, 190 everclear and juices.
- Bacardi Squeeze. It includes rum, coconut, lemonade, juices and ice cream.