With the Iowa Legislature now back in session, several Saturday legislative forums have been scheduled for voters in Scott County and in Clinton and DeWitt.
In Scott County, the public forums begin Jan. 15. They will be in-person forums with a live virtual option.
“The purpose of the forums is to ask questions of our Iowa legislators – both Republican and Democrat senators and representatives about issues of concern to us,” said Maggie Tinsman, who, with the help of several community organizations, helped organize the Scott County events.
“Our goal is to encourage courteous civil discourse. We urge attendees to be respectful of all legislators as well as of those asking questions or listening to the discussion,” she said in a news release.
Here is the Scott County forum schedule (all events are on Saturdays):
- Jan. 15: 10:30 a.m. to noon, Bettendorf Library, 2950 Learning Campus Drive. The forum will be sponsored by the Quad Cities Chamber. Social time will be held from 10-10:30 a.m.
- Feb. 19: 10:30 a.m. to noon, LULAC, 4224 Ricker Hill Road, Davenport. The forum will be sponsored by LULAC and the NAACP. Social time will be from 10-10:30 a.m.
- March 19: 10:30 a.m. to noon, North Scott High School, 200 S. First St., Eldridge. The forum will be sponsored by the Iowa State Education Association and Working Iowa Neighbors (WIN). Social time will be held from 10-10:30 a.m.
- April 9: 10:30 a.m. to noon, AEA Bettendorf, 729 21st St. The forum will be sponsored by the American Association of University Women. Social time will be held from 10-10:30 a.m.
In Clinton and DeWitt, the Iowa Legislative Informational Coffee meetings will be presented by the Grow Clinton County Committee. The events are a joint initiative of the Clinton Area Chamber of Commerce and the DeWitt Chamber and Development Company. The events will have free admission and are open to the public.
These Iowa lawmakers are scheduled to attend the Clinton and DeWitt events: Sen. Chris Cournoyer, District 49; Rep. Mary Wolfe, District 97; and Rep. Norlin Mommsen, District 98.
The lawmakers will give opening comments and updates on issues. There also will be a question-and-answer session moderated by Grow Clinton County staff.
The Clinton and DeWitt events are scheduled for (all events are on Saturdays):
- Jan. 29: 9 a.m., Clinton Area Chamber of Commerce office, 721 S. Second St., Clinton; and 11 a.m. at the DeWitt Community Center, 512 10th St.
- Feb. 26: 9 a.m., Clinton Chamber; and 11 a.m., DeWitt Community Center.
- March date to be scheduled: 9 a.m., Clinton Chamber; and 11 a.m., DeWitt Community Center.
- April 16: 9 a.m., Clinton Chamber; and 11 a.m., DeWitt Community Center.