Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
Ryan Hintze is living in a golf world these days. In fact, he seems to be surrounded by all things golf. That golfing world can be seen in a new venue that will open soon and start to attract thousands of sports tourists to the region, even if they’re not golf fans. That new venue is the Iron Tee Golf facility, located at 6909 Iron Tee Way and near the TBK Bank Sports Complex in Bettendorf.“There a lot going to happen here. … We’re working on the finishes right now,” Mr. Hintz, the founder of Iron Tee Golf and owner/operator of Corn Belt Capital, said as he gave a tour Wednesday afternoon, Feb. 7, to four members of the QCBJ and its parent company Corridor Media Group. If all goes according to plan, the $35 million, 61,000-square-foot facility will open this spring, perhaps in May. Once complete, the facility is expected to be open seven days a week. The Iron Tee will be a “must-visit destination for anyone looking to take their golf game to the next level,” touts the Iron Tee’s website. Some of those “next level” features were visited during the private tour of the Iron Tee still under construction. Much of that tour focused on Mr. Hintze outlining the work being done on the new three-story golfing entertainment facility. Some of those features will include:
1 of 7
- Golf bays: Much of the facility will center around a state-of-the-art, temperature-controlled driving range that will have 58 bays. (There will be 14 bays on the first floor, 22 on the second and another 22 on the third floor.) The facility will also be equipped with Trackman Technology for golf ball tracking and a variety of interactive target greens. There will also be golf equipment rental available. All that golfing activity will need plenty of golf balls. Mr. Hintze has ordered 120,000 balls for the new facility.
- Other entertainment: Not a golf fan? The Iron Tee will have many other activities for the family, including a mini golf arcade.
- Event space: There will be space and bar areas for company events and private parties.
- Restaurant: The Iron Tee Golf facility will feature a full-service restaurant. Mr. Hintze said his philosophy of food service is to at least start with a somewhat simple menu – perhaps 25 items on the menu – and offer superior service on those items. “Let’s keep it simple and be really good at it,” he added. Also, there will be three bars with a total of 36 beers on tap.
- Many TVs: There will be more than 160 large-screen TVs in the facility. “You won’t miss a game or play,” Mr. Hintze said.
- Workforce: The Iron Tee will have about 150 employees. Company officials are currently in the processing of hiring upper management officials, including an executive chef. (For information on employment at the Iron Tee, visit here.)