Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
FULTON, Illinois – Barbara Mask looked over the many offerings available at the new Gold Leaf Bakery & Dispensary in this community during its grand opening celebration on Wednesday, Nov. 1. She looked over the muffins, brownies, cookies, mini cupcakes and other items on display. But as she did so, the area woman knew the Gold Leaf isn’t your typical mom-and-pop bakery business – it’s Fulton’s newest cannabis dispensary that sells its many cannabis-extracted items in baked goodies, cookies, gummies and drinks. “It’s an interesting place. We’ll see if it works out,” said Ms. Mask, who is a member of the Fulton City Council. The Fulton woman decided not to make a purchase on Wednesday. Ms. Mask was one of about 50 people welcoming the new Gold Leaf Bakery & Dispensary to during grand opening events that included a ribbon-cutting ceremony hosted by Grow Clinton, the region’s chamber and economic development group. The new business is located at 1016 Fourth St., in downtown Fulton, next to Krumpets Restaurant & Bakery. The day’s events brought together members of the business community, Fulton officials and others to welcome the new business. It also featured Jaysen Dyal, a Los Angeles-based entrepreneur, who is owner of Gold Leaf along with some local silent partners. Mr. Dyal said he believes Fulton is ready for the new cannabis bakery, and hopes it will be a great business success. “I’m excited to be here in Fulton. … It’s high times ahead,” he said during the ribbon cutting. “It’s been an overwhelmingly positive experience from the community. … I’ve talked to the Fulton leadership about this (for months). The people of Fulton are strong enough to say ‘No, this isn’t going to work’ if they didn’t like it. I do think it will be a success,” he added. In addition to providing high-quality cannabis products, Mr. Dyal said that one of his other big goals was to bring new life to a historic storefront building in downtown Fulton. As he put it, Gold Leaf is helping “keep the spirit of the building” alive. The interior of the new business is a mix of the old and new. The ceiling, painted gold with tin ceiling tiles, appears to be preserved from a 19th-century business. But there are also many modern touches to the business. There is “Let’s Party” pink lettering on a back wall that is covered with fake green plants, a large TV screen that displays the many bakery and drink offerings, and modern chandelier-like lighting. It’s a look that impressed many of the grand opening visitors. “It’s exciting. It’s innovative. It’s exciting to see Fulton grow,” said Andy Sokolovich, president and CEO of Grow Clinton, during the grand opening. “Plus, attracting an entrepreneur from California to come here, that says something good about Fulton.” In addition to the welcoming ceremony, Gold Leaf also was busy doing business on Wednesday by selling items from its menu. (Items usually include THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which is a common cannabinoid found in cannabis products.) Some of the menu items include:
- Chocolate chip cookies (with 20 mg of THC) for $12 each.
- Brownies (20 mg of THC) for $18.
- Gummies. Some of the varieties include orange, watermelon and lemon (10-packs, 100 MG THC) for $28 each.
- Mini cupcakes (4 mg THC) for $3 each.
- Muffins. One of the flavors is blueberry lemon (20 mg) for $16.
- Mini scone bites (10 mg THC) for $7 each.
- Nerd Rocks. Some of the flavors include blue razz, strawberry and green apple (eight-packs, 320 mg THC) for $59 each.
- The business also offers a wide variety of drinks including: a mocktail margarita (20mg THC) for $16; black cherry juice (50 mg) for $24; strawberry watermelon juice for $24; and blood orange seltzer (20 mg) for $16.
- Plus, the menu also points out Gold Leaf’s November special – get a free 20 mg chocolate chip cookie for orders of more than $100.