Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
Bettendorf is on the verge of approving a massive sports complex and commercial development plan that may bring millions of dollars, thousands of tourists and more jobs to the Quad Cities. The $32 million development plan, called the I-80 Urban Renewal Plan, would put sports fields, a three-story golf range, hotel and much more near the TBK Bank Sports Complex at 4850 Competition Drive. “This really is an exciting development,” Bettendorf City Administrator Decker Ploehn said during Monday’s Bettendorf City Council Committee of the Whole meeting. “This will have a tremendous upside for the city and a tremendous upside for the community.” City officials, along with its project partners – Middle & Forest Grove LLC and FG80 LLC – have scheduled a press conference for 9 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 16, at the TBK Bank Sports Complex to formally announce the development plan. Mr. Ploehn added that the plan has been in the works for about six months and praised city staff for doing a “phenomenal job” of helping assist the project’s progress. Here are some of the highlights of the proposed I-80 Urban Renewal plan:
- Project will cover 109 acres of property east of Middle Road and north of Forest Grove Drive with about 75 acres to be developed in this phase.
- The plan includes at least $32 million in developments. City officials said the development could exceed that amount.
- The project will include two synthetic turf multi-use fields – sized to accommodate two collegiate/high school sized baseball fields, eight youth baseball/softball fields or four full-sized soccer fields with lighting for night activities and parking.
- A golf entertainment facility consisting of a three-story golf range with about 60 hitting bays.
- The project will create 180 full-time jobs.
- A restaurant, bar, meeting and entertainment areas, along with related parking.
- Construction will begin about April 1 and be completed about Dec. 31, 2023.
- Construction of a commercial strip center, convenience store and hotel with at least 80 rooms.