Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
Guadalupe Bernal says that her new patrons are pleased that a new restaurant has set up shop on the west side of Davenport. “We’ve had a lot of people excited we’re here. They’re excited that somebody has filled this space. They tell us ‘We’ve heard a lot of good things about you,’” said Ms. Bernal, one of the family members who own and operate Don Juan Mexican Cocina restaurant at 1902 N. Division St. (That’s at the busy intersection commonly known as Davenport’s Five Points.) The business site has been a restaurant for many years. The Azteca Express Mexican restaurant operated there for years until closing a few months ago. Don Juan opened for business on Friday, May 20. Ms. Bernal said her family loves the site because it’s a busy section of town, many people have already noticed the new business and it’s close enough to many homes and businesses to attract a good lunch crowd. For example, Don Juan has been getting a healthy lunch-time crowd from workers at the nearby Eaton-Cobham Mission Systems, she added. “We like all the traffic around here. … We want to do a fast food service for people,” she said. Some of the most popular menu items in the restaurant’s opening days included street tacos and enchiladas. But Don Juan offers many other items including:
- The macho burrito, which is filled with steak, whole beans, pico de gallo and queso fresco.
- Alambre, which includes a choice of grilled chicken or steak, bacon, grilled onions and poblano peppers, topped with cheese, served with rice, beans and tortillas.
- The pollo jalisco – a grilled chicken breast topped with mushrooms, grilled onions, cheese dip
- The steak burrito dinner, which includes two seven-inch burritos filled with steak, grilled onions, with cheese dip and ranchero sauce.
- The dessert menu includes tres leches cake, churros and cheesecake chimichangas.