Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
A sign in a corner window at the new City Loafers restaurant in downtown Davenport states: “Welcome to Davenport Midwest Unexpected.” City Loafers, located at 215 N. Main St., inside The Current Iowa hotel, could be called a new and unexpected surprise for people looking to grab a quick lunch or a bigger evening dinner. Since opening in January, the downtown restaurant has been building up a steady following of customers who enjoy the location and menu of City Loafers. “We’ve been getting a really good lunch crowd. … The feedback from people has been great,” said Kate Griffith, the sales and marketing director for Hotel Blackhawk and The Current Iowa, which oversees the new restaurant. Ms. Griffith added that some of the foodie favorites have centered on the dishes with the fresh baked bread. (City Loafers, of course, bakes its own bread in house.) Some of those dishes include:
- The Mo’Dough, a starter that includes cheddar and parmesan focaccia (that’s a favorite of Ms. Griffith).
- The Lil’ Piggy sandwich with smoked gouda, country ham and yellow mustard.
- The Fowl Play sandwich with turkey, white cheddar, arugula and smoked bacon.
- The Angus Young with angus ribeye, swiss cheese, portabella mushroom on a brioche bun.