Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
Augustana College’s new president received an official welcome to the community and college – and heard some stories of her summer camp days – during a celebration on the Rock Island campus Saturday afternoon, Oct. 15. An inauguration ceremony was held for Andrea Talentino – Augie’s ninth president who has been on the job since July – in front of several hundred people on the college’s quad during Homecoming Week. “She is the one. She is the right person at the right time,” said Wiley Adams, a member of the college’s board of trustees, in welcoming the new president. Mr. Adams was one of several speakers who offered words of praise to Ms. Talentino during a sunny, cool and often windy day. (“If I blow away, you don’t have to stay,” the college president joked with the crowd during the ceremony.) Other comments during the ceremony included:
- “You have found a place of kindred spirits.” – Mariano Magalhaes, professor of political science at Augustana.
- Ms. Talentino will help the college “move from a bright past to a bold tomorrow.” – John Murabito, college board chairman.
- Ms. Talentino is now part of the Augustana family. – Mr. Wiley.
- “She is a calm, able person. … She is ready for the next challenge.” – Bill Dorfman, family friend and former director of a summer camp she attended.