Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
CLINTON, Iowa – Nestle Purina’s pet food and product facility is celebrating a major business milestone with the completion of a $156 million expansion that will lead to the hiring of nearly 100 more workers as part of that project. “The pet care business is strong. … We are always looking ahead to what’s next,” Justin Wilkinson, factory manager of the Nestle Purina Clinton plant, said during a celebration and ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday, Oct. 5, for the company expansion. That event attracted about 100 people, including company, city and local economic development officials. The expansion project, which began in early 2020, includes:
- New cooking and packaging lines that will be used to make a variety of pet food brands, including Purina ONE, Purina Pro Plan and Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets.
- A new 3,800-square-foot technical training center in Clinton that supports Purina’s investment in digital tools and technology to enhance collaboration and innovation in manufacturing.
- Purina also purchased a building adjacent to the factory and retrofitted it for the packaging and storage of two unique Purina brands. They include: Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Supplements, including Calming Care and FortiFlora, the No. 1 probiotic brands recommended by veterinarians that contain beneficial strains of bacteria that promote calm behavior and support digestive health, respectively.
- The expansion results in 96 new positions at the factory, which now employs about 570 workers.