Already a subscriber? Log in
- Unparalleled business coverage of the Iowa City / Cedar Rapids corridor.
- Immediate access to subscriber-only content on our website.
- 52 issues per year delivered digitally, in print or both.
- Support locally owned and operated journalism.
DEWITT, Iowa – There’s a photo collage near the front door of the Black Cat Wear Parts plant here that chronicles the company’s milestones over the past decade.
The information in the collage includes:
- Black Cat opens in DeWitt: May 5, 2012
- First warehouse shipment: Jan. 8, 2013
- First blades manufactured: Oct. 17, 2014
- First blades shipped: Dec. 8, 2014
- First carbine insert blades shipped: Aug. 21, 2015
- First heat treated blades shipped: Sept. 16, 2019
At a glance: Black Cat Wear PartsHere are some quick facts about Black Cat Wear Parts:
- Black Cat began making cutting edges in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, in 1968. In the following decade, as machine sizes and horsepower increased, the company invested in the latest technology and equipment to produce higher quality, harder, tougher edges.
- The company operates in Canada, China and the United States. Its products are sold through an international distribution network as well as directly to original equipment manufacturers.
- Edmonton is home to the company’s head office, a 36,000-square-foot manufacturing facility and a 24,000-square-foot warehouse and distribution facility.
- The DeWitt, Iowa-based Black Cat facility is described as a 59,000-square-foot operation set up to “efficiently supply and service original equipment manufacturers and replacement part customers.”
- Black Cat has been listed as one of Canada’s “Best Managed Companies” since 2015.